Saturday, November 15, 2008

They're listening

Not long after Jay started a new job at a large tech company I got a call from him:

"Hey man, do you know how to uninstall the microphone device driver on a laptop?"
"Uhhh.... Is the microphone giving you problems? What kind of errors are you seeing?"
"No, I just want to disable it permanently."
"... Well, I'm sure you can mess with the driver in the Device Manager, but if you just want the mic off go into your sound settings. If it's not causing you problems why do you want it off anyway? You're better off not messing with it."
"Well ... I'm worried that my boss may have installed some spy software on here that would record my conversations. Like with the mic; some kind of spyware or something."
"Dude, do you remember when you asked me to tell you when you're acting crazy? You are acting crazy man."
"Nah man, it's possible. I just don't want to have to worry about it."
"Jay, first of all you work at a big company now. People could get fired for that kind of thing. Secondly, who exactly do you think is listening to hours of your random conversations on the off chance you might say something interesting? That doesn't make any god damn sense."
"I don't know, but you were right it's here in the device manager. Thanks for your help man."
"Uhhh.... You're welcome I guess."

No comments: